Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Barack to the Future

It's still early.
There is no new president...yet.
But I felt the need to express my feelings about today.
My vote goes beyond skin color or celebrity endorsement.
It is about a new America.
I think that John McCain is an amazing man. In this election, while I've voted for Obama, I feel as though a new leaf will be turned regardless of the winner. I'm hopeful that CHANGE will occur...but Idon't feel as though it's a crapshoot....which is how I felt in 04.
But we've already made history...and hopefully will continue to make it.
I feel as though I've supported a candidate who speaks to me. A politician in the most positive of senses. Yes, he's still a politician. Yes, there is still room for him to show that he's pulled the wool over our little lamb eyes (as is with ANY vote). But I stand behind my vote. I feel very strongly that he is a man of integrity who can lead this country out of its dark place.
After leaving the polls I felt this overwhelming sense of "Did I make the right choice?" I had doubts... I see the positive in both sides.
But as I cast my vote, I felt a sense of pride and was giddy. My generation spoke up. I did my research. I listened. I ignored the opinion of my family members (who are my role models). I voted with my heart. I voted with that I felt was the best decision for me at this time.
Either way, change needs to happen. This is a pivotal point in our history.
I hear people say that we have so far to go w/race relations...
yet in 50 years...look how far we've come?
We still have a long ways to go...but Jesus..50 years is nothing...and we've come so far.
This election is not about race..
For me it is about two great men ready to change a dark spot in American history.
I feel proud to be a part of this election.
Maybe I'm Pollyannaing out on this one...but I don't think it's about race. I think it's about hope and change and the need to change the status quo.
While I feel blessed to be born in this country (and I never say blessed) I am not the America I know that we should and hope to be.
On another note...
I always feel incredibly sorry for the candidate who is not elected. I know they know it is a possibility but still. Your biggest goal in life comes to this.. That's gotta be incredibly hard.
Regardless of blue and red, you have to acknowledge that McCain has done his service and then some for our country. It is undeniable.

No comments: